At MMC we ensure that all the hardware and software that we promote is thoroughly tested by our internal technical specialists. This ensures that we understand where any idiosyncrasies of the hardware and software may lie and guarantees that we are able to help our clients gain maximum usage and benefit from the hardware and software that we provide.
We have been running and testing Microsoft Office 2010 at our offices for a few months already and in June, we officially deployed this software across all desktops and departments within the organisation. The feedback from our staff members has been very positive as Microsoft Office 2010, which is really a more refined and updated version of Office 2007, offers numerous additional features which make using office more relevant in our fast paced, increasingly virtual workplace. We are sure you too will agree that Microsoft Office 2010 is a worthwhile step-up from 2007 once you have had the opportunity to try Microsoft Office 2010 for yourself.
In this article we will provide you with some facts and safe download links to help you in getting started.
The fantastic upgrades in functionality that Microsoft Office 2007 users enjoy have been advanced even further to accommodate a more mobile workforce which often needs to access data from remote locations and across a range of virtual and mobile platforms. In terms of the improvements to standard features, Microsoft Office 2010 offers more advanced design capabilities that enable you to make your documents look even better, as well as easier access through an improved command ribbon and a revolutionary step forward in enabling simultaneous multi-user tracking and editing of documents.
Here is a detailed breakdown of the advancements users can expect to enjoy:- (information derived from www.microsoft.com)
1. ENHANCED MOBILITY: Extend your Office 2010 experience to the web. Store your Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote files online and then access, view, edit, and share content through the Web. Stay current and respond quickly using enhanced mobile versions of Office 2010 applications, specifically suited to your Windows Mobile-based smartphone. Enjoy the freedom of using Office 2010 from more locations on more devices. When you use Office 2010, you’re getting the familiar and intuitive Office experience across PCs, smartphones, and Web browsers on the go.
2. EXCEL IMPROVEMENTS: Track and highlight important trends with new data analysis and visualization features in Excel 2010. The new Sparklines feature delivers a clear and compact visual representation of your data with small charts within worksheet cells. Filter and segment your PivotTable data in multiple layers using Slicers to spend more time analyzing and less time formatting.
3. POWERPOINT IMPROVEMENTS: Captivate your audience with personalized videos in your presentation. Insert and customize videos directly in PowerPoint 2010—trim, add fades and effects, or bookmark key points in the video to call attention to selected scenes. Videos you insert are now embedded by default, relieving you from managing and sending additional video files. Broadcast your PowerPoint presentation to a remote audience, whether or not they have PowerPoint installed. The new Broadcast Slide Show feature allows you to share your presentation through a Web browser quickly without additional set up.
4. OUTLOOK IMPROVEMENTS: With Outlook 2010 you can compress your long e-mail threads into a few conversations that can be categorized, filed, ignored, or cleaned up. The new Quick Steps feature let you perform multi-command tasks, such as reply and delete an e-mail in a single click, saving you time and inbox space.
5. ONENOTE IMPROVEMENTS: Get the ultimate digital notebook for tracking, organizing, and sharing your text, picture, video and audio notes with OneNote 2010. New features such as version tracking, automatic highlighting, and Linked Notes give you more control over your notes so you’re always on top of where your ideas came from and the latest changes when working in teams.
6. FILE IS BACK!: Microsoft Office Backstage™ view replaces the File button in MS Office 2007 to give you a centralized space for all of your file management tasks, such as the ability to save, share, print, and publish.
7. ENHANCED RIBBON: The enhanced Ribbon across Office 2010 applications lets you access commands quickly and customize tabs to personalize the experience to your work style.
A PC with these minimum recommended specifications:
- 500 MHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor or higher
- 256 MB of system memory or more
- 3.5 GB of available disk space
- 1024x768 or higher resolution monitor
- DVD-R/W Drive
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows XP with Service Pack (SP) 3 (32-bit)
- Windows Vista with SP1 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-bit or 64-bit) with MSXLM 6.0 installed
- Windows Server 2008 with SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Terminal Server and windows on Windows (WOW) (which allows installing 32-bit versions of Office 2010 on 64-bit operating systems) are supported.
Try Microsoft Office 2010 before you decide to invest. We do recommend however that you load the trial version on an extra computer that you have available which you do not rely on for your day-to-day operations.
Below is the Microsoft Office 2010 comparison chart. Please note that clients of MMC will receive a negotiated rate depending on their individual software requirements. Please contact Anthony Simons on 021 530 1600 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire further.
Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 use a different file extension to previous versions of Microsoft Office (for example - .docx instead of .doc)
If you are currently using Microsoft Office 2007, you will therefore be able to view and amend documents that have been compiled in Microsoft Office 2010.
If you are still using Microsoft Office 2003 or an earlier version than that however, you will need to download and install a compatibility pack which will enable you to view and amend later versions of Microsoft Office documents. Click on the link below to download the Compatibility Pack.
MMC is a Microsoft Gold Partner and therefore authorized agent for the Microsoft Corporation. For further information, or to arrange to one of our team to assess you Microsoft Office 2010 needs, please contact your Sales Representative on 021 530 1600.